How To Make Your Own Holiday Chocolate
To get by with a little help from our ~friends~, here’s how you can make your own edibles during the season. Today, we’re lookin’ specifically at the chocolate variety:
- Get your hands on some finely ground cannabis. We recommend simply picking up a few grams of your favourite strain and putting it through a hand grinder. If you need a strain recommendation, check out what we currently have on offer from Color Cannabis!
- Because you are cooking with cannabis this time around (not smoking it) you’ll need to decarboxylate it. Don’t be intimidated. All you need to do is spread your milled bud out on a sheet pan with some parchment paper and pop it in the oven. 220° F for 25 mins and you’ll be good to go.
This process will lower the risk of any unwanted bacteria in your bud from growing and it will turn any THCA into straight THC, making your milled flower more potent.
- Melt your chocolate using a double boiler.
To do this, bring a pot of water to boil. Once its steaming, put a glass or metal bowl (just slightly bigger than your pot) on top of your pot. Put your chocolate in the bowl and stir until melted. With this method you won’t burn your chocolate.
- Stir your glorious decarboxylated cannabis into the chocolate.
- Once it is all mixed together, pour it into a mold of your choosing (we usually just use a brownie pan).
- Let things firm up and enjoy!
Heads up, edibles can be very strong, so make sure you take a minute to think about your dosage and how much you are consuming. Start low and go slow (in a safe environment). Also, mark those babies so grandma doesn’t reach for a chocolate and end up on the floor.
If you need any tips, come visit us! We’ll be happy to chat it out.
PS: If you're looking to support local businesses this season (which we're obviously encouraging!) here are some local chocolate shops: